Who we are
Hillcrest Trust is a community based organisation which works to support the physical and social regeneration of the Top of the Hill and Greater Waterside area of Derry City, through adoption of a community development approach, in response to the needs of the local community.
Our programmes and events take place over three buildings based in the Top of the Hill, which are:
Hillcrest House on Jasmine Court – central base which houses all staff, service and programme delivery and room rental.
Derryview – in partnership with WHSCT and Waterside Surestart, preschool creche and 2yr programme is based here.
Community Hub on the Trench Road – this houses St Brecan’s Youth Club, Men’s Shed, Waterside Boxing Club and Slimming World as well as seasonal programmes, such as summer scheme, family fun days, Christmas Wonderland and many more.
- Undertake needs assessments to establish the views and priorities of local people in relation to enhancement of the physical and social infrastructure of the area.
- Develop the capacity and skills of the members of the wider TOTH community in such a way that they are better able to identify, and help meet, their needs and to participate more fully in society.
- Recruit and train volunteers with relevant skills to add value to provision of programmes and activities.
- Work with key statutory and other sectors for the maintenance, improvement or provision of community based services.
- Design and deliver in partnership with local residents a broad range of programmes and activities aimed at improving the health, educational and social outcomes of the people living in the area of benefit.
- Provide or assist in providing a wide range of services, programmes and activities that cover health & wellbeing, education, youth services, older people, family support and arts and culture.
- Provide facilities management for a range of community facilities in the area including Hillcrest Trust, Derryview and Community Hub.
How we work
Hillcrest Trust’s aim is to take responsibility for leadership and co-ordination of community development in the wider TOTH area with a view to improving the physical and social regeneration of the area. Ultimately the organisation aims to improve the quality of life of residents from the area by provision of a range of services and programmes which support health development, community safety and social inclusion. Hillcrest Trust includes a Board of Directors, which is responsible for providing the overall leadership and strategic guidance to the organisation, the staff of Hillcrest who manage and provide the day-to-day delivery of programmes and volunteers who offer valuable assistance to the centre.
Hillcrest Trust will through our leadership, inspiration, energy, and enthusiasm transform and enhance the quality of life of the people of the Top of the Hill.
To support the physical, social, economic and community regeneration of the TOTH area to enable people to live successful, happy, healthy and harmonious lives’.
Values of Hillcrest Trust
- Inclusiveness – recognise diversity as strength and will seek to involve all people as active participants in the community.
- Equality – challenging the attitudes of individuals, and the practices of institutions and society, which discriminate against and marginalise people
- Responsive – strengthen efforts of individuals and groups to meet community needs to make a difference
- Social Justice – enabling people to claim their human rights, meet their needs and have greater control over decision-making processes which affect their lives
- Quality – strive for excellence in the delivery of our services and activities
- Connected – work with others via cross sectoral and community links
- Accessible – provide fair and open access to all
- Forward looking – recognise the need for continuous improvement
- Impact focused – measure our success by the visible and practical benefits to our community.